Position: Produce Buyer
Job Type: Part or Full time, hourly (may be combined with other duties)
Reports to: Produce Manager
Starting hourly rate: $12.36
Hours and schedule: Varied and somewhat flexible, to be determined by Produce manager. Additional hours will be required at holiday times.
To coordinate and oversee the inventory, purchase, display, and sale of high-quality produce goods in the best possible variety and at the most competitive prices
- Purchase products, including monitoring standing orders frequently and adjusting them according to customer demand, seasonal needs, and display limitations.
- Submit accurate orders correctly and in a timely manner before vendor cutoff time.
- Evaluate suppliers; research and source new products.
- Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality, and delivery.
- Achieve target margin under the guidance of the Produce manager.
- Maintain the vendor files and ordering/receiving schedule.
- Develop and maintain a product database for use in ordering and pricing.
- Coordinate purchasing with the Produce Manager.
- Process special and pre-orders.
- Ensure proper procedures are followed for cleaning, receiving, bagging, pricing, labeling, storage, rotation, and display.
- Coordinate returns and credit from suppliers where applicable.
- Receive departmental deliveries, overlook quality before accepting delivery, and ensure that invoice reflects products received.
- Sign and date all invoices and file in the bin for accounts payable when completed.
- Review invoices for accuracy.
- Visit farm markets and other grocers for price comparisons and ideas for displays and products.
- Merchandise and market produce goods, including promotions, coordinating discounting within and with other departments, and advertising in the Shuttle.
- Provide product information for members and staff.
- Plan attractive displays with uniform signage.
- Ensure, along with the rest of the produce department staff, that displays are fully stocked and rotated to guarantee freshness.
- Ensure that product labels are accurate, complete, current, and include a complete ingredient list.
- Ensure display areas are maintained and clean, meeting health department standards.
- Maintain back stock and supply storage areas for cleanliness and orderliness.
- Check equipment to assure safe and proper operation and report maintenance needs.
- Maintain a list of supplies needed for produce operation/merchandising and ensure an adequate stock of supplies through communication with the Produce Manager.
- Greet customers in a friendly manner.
- Treat customers fairly, consistently, and with respect.
- Respond quickly and courteously to all requests and complaints from customers and work to ensure that all customers feel satisfied after any interactions.
- Become familiar with Co-op policies and products in order to answer customer questions; refer unresolved questions to the appropriate colleague.
- Be able to discuss membership with prospective members.
- Answer phones and make public announcements as needed.
- Assist customers with special orders.
- Supervise and guide cooperators as needed.
- Respond courteously, effectively, and in a timely manner to member inquiries and suggestions.
- Arrange for samples and demos with vendors.
- Inform the scheduling coordinator of needs for co-operators, whether permanent or temporary, in a timely manner.
- Review purchasing and merchandising procedures with the Produce Manager.
- Notify appropriate staff of changes in products, vendors, and operating procedures.
- Observe all Weavers Way policies and procedures.
- Attend departmental and all-staff meetings.
- Assist with quarterly inventories.
- Complete evaluations as assigned.
- Read the shift logs each shift and other communications as released.
- Perform other duties as assigned by a manager or supervisor.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Weavers Way Co-operative Association.
- Exhibited ability to work well in a team setting.
- Strong communications skills with supervisors, staff, and members.
- Commitment to superior member service.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and remain calm under stress.
- Proven ability to work independently and exercise independent judgment when necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Ability to keep detailed and clear records, develop and follow standard procedures.
- Basic knowledge of produce and merchandising.
- Be or become upon hiring a member in good standing of Weavers Way Co-op.
We offer an excellent benefits package including medical and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick time, retirement plan and employee discount.
We are looking to fill this position ASAP. Interested applicants are highly encouraged to learn more about us at www.weaversway.coop prior to applying. Resume required. Applications without resumes will not be considered. We read and appreciate all cover letters.
Founded in 1973, Weavers Way is a community-owned natural grocer with stores in Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill and Ambler. In addition to our stores, we run a market farm in the Awbury Arboretum, a CSA farm partnership with Saul High School, our own community newspaper, and a non-profit that emphasizes food and nutrition education. We operate based on a triple bottom line philosophy that considers our community and environment in all of our decisions.
How to contact us
Weavers Way Cooperative
559 Carpenter Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19119