Recipe by Lauren Todd, Weavers Way Farm Market Manager
- 1 medium or ¾ of a large eggplant
- Sea salt to taste
- Olive oil for roasting
- 2-3 tbsps. lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or finely minced
- 2 tbsps. tahini
- 2 tbsps. fresh cilantro, parsley, or basil, chopped
Makes four servings
- Preheat your oven to high broil (or medium if you can) and position a rack near the top of the oven.
- Slice the eggplant into ¼-inch rounds, sprinkle with sea salt, and place in a colander in the sink to drain any excess liquid. After 10 minutes, rinse slightly and then pat dry between two towels.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for five to 10 minutes, turning once or twice, until the eggplant is softened and golden brown. Remove the eggplant from the pan and stack and wrap the rounds in foil to lock in moisture. Wait five minutes.
- Peel away most of the skin of the eggplant (a little is OK) and add the flesh to a food processor. It should be soft and tender, and the skin should come off easily.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and a pinch of salt and mix until creamy. Add the herbs and pulse to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with pita and/or pita chips, or veggies for a gluten-free option. Will keep covered in the fridge for several days.