Jerk Chicken Noodle
- 1.5lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 4 chicken thighs)
- Substitute with extra firm tofu, tempeh, chickpeas, or any other plant-based protein substitute for a vegetarian version
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup jerk seasoning (Jerk Seasoning available at Chestnut Hill location)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato chopped
- ½ green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno (or 1/2 of a scotch bonnet pepper
○ Feel free to leave out if lesser spice is desired
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 can of red kidney beans (14.5 oz)
- 1 can corn (14.5 oz)
○ Feel free to substitute with frozen corn (1 cup)
- 3 cups dry egg noodles
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Replace with vegetable broth for vegetarian/vegan version
- ½ cup light unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garnish: cilantro and lime
Enjoy a comforting bowl of Jerk Chicken Noodle Soup! This soup is full of hearty nutritious vegetables and starches such as sweet potatoes, spinach, peppers, and kidney beans. It combines flavorful Jerk Chicken with a classic Chicken Noodle Soup making it the perfect soup for anyone craving a twist to a fall favorite.
Makes 6 servings.
- Season chicken thighs with jerk seasoning
- Add vegetable oil to cooking pot and turn heat to high
- Sear chicken thighs in pot for 3-4 minutes on each side at medium high heat
- Remove chicken thighs from pot and add chopped peppers, onion, garlic and sautee for about 3 minutes or until onions have softened on medium heat
- Next add 6 cups of chicken broth and chicken thighs and bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes at medium high heat.
- Next, add dry egg noodles, chopped sweet potatoes, corn, and kidney beans. Bring back to a boil and then keep the heat at medium high and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Once potatoes, chicken, and beans are tender, take out the chicken thighs, shred them into chunks, and add them back into the soup.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and add the spinach and coconut milk. Boil for 1-2 minutes or until spinach is cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy the soup with some cilantro and lime!