My Mom’s Fruit Crisp
For the filling:
- 6 cups of fresh fruit of your choice
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Juice of ½ a lemon plus its zest, if desired
- Pinch of cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts or almonds (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. almond or apricot liqueur or vanilla extract
- Another dash of cinnamon
- ½ cup cold butter, unsalted, cut into small pieces
This is tastier and easier to make than any pie. Why fuss over a crust?
Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a nine-inch glass baking pan or a nine-inch cast iron skillet. Meanwhile, toss the fruit, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cornstarch. Place in prepared pan or skillet.
Combine all topping ingredients in a large bowl. Use a dough knife or wooden spoon to work in the butter until it looks coarse and mealy. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.Bake for about an hour, or until fruit starts to bubble and topping becomes golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
Serve with generous plops of fresh whipped cream and devour with abandon. Fruit juice stains and bellyaches are inconsequential.