Spaghetti Squash Sausage Cups
Recipe by Teressa Price, Writer, Educator and Weavers Way Working Member
- 1 spaghetti squash, about 2 ½-3 lbs.
- 1-1 ½ lbs. Italian sausage, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-2 Tbs. olive oil
Over the years I’ve learned to love spaghetti squash. It really is a fun, filling, low-carb alternative to pasta. Plus, if it’s prepared correctly, they make perfect portion sizes. The end pieces of the squash make true cups, but the others will need a base to capture the juice. You can use any filling you’d like. Besides the combination here, I’ve also used a meaty tomato sauce and alfredo sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Cut spaghetti squash crosswise in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the halves in half, cover them in foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, saute the sausage; remove from pan and drain. Add olive oil and saute garlic, onion and peppers for about four minutes. Add cherry tomatoes and cook until soft and close to bursting.
- Once spaghetti squash has finished baking, fill each piece with the vegetable mixture. Top with sausage slices and shredded Parmesan and serve hot.