Vegan Crab Cakes
Recipe by Bonnie Shuman, Weavers Way Executive Chef
Vegan Crab Cakes
- 15 oz. chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 2-15 oz. artichoke hearts (2 cans)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs, divided
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 large shallot, fine dice
- ½ yellow bell pepper, fine dice
- ½ red bell pepper, fine dice
- 8 oz. Earth Balance vegan butter
- 3 tsp. Maine Coast dulse flakes
- 4 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1-½ tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce, such as Annie's brand
- 1-½ tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup safflower oil for frying only
Vegan Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tsp. pickle relish
- 2 tsp. dried dill
- 2 tsp. capers, finely chopped
- fine zest of a whole lemon
- In a food processor, add chickpeas and artichoke hearts — do this in smaller batches to achieve best consistency. Pulse this mixture a few times, until you have a coarse, crab cake-like texture. Set aside.
- Add Earth Balance to a small sauté pan and melt it thoroughly. Add diced shallots and peppers. Sauté on medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the sautéed vegetables, including the extra Earth Balance in the pan, to the crab cake mixture from step 1. Add 1 cup of the panko plus all other crab cake ingredients, except the safflower oil.
- Mix all ingredients until well combined. Taste for salt and seasoning; add more if needed. Freeze mixture for 20 minutes — this will help bind the crab cakes.
- Place the other cup of panko on a sheet tray.
- After 20 minutes, remove the mixture from the freezer. Scoop out a heavy ¼ cup of the mixture and form into a patty shape. Repeat until all the patties are formed. Coat each patty on both sides with the panko bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet, heat the safflower oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Place 4-5 patties in the hot oil and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer cooked patties to a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat process with remaining patties, adding more oil if necessary and removing any excess bread crumbs from the oil.
- Prepare the tartar sauce by placing all ingredients in a bowl and combining thoroughly.
- Serve the crab cakes hot with vegan tartar sauce and a wedge of lemon.