Zucchini and Sweet Potato Fritters
Recipe by Lisa Zerdes, Weavers Way Member and Professional Pastry Chef
- 1-½ lbs. zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium sweet potato (12 oz.), peeled and shredded
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (Recommended: Koroneki Greek olive oil)
- 4 scallions, minced
- 2 garlic gloves, grated on a microplane
- 1 bunch minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1-½ tsps. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup arrowroot flour
- 6 tbsp. olive oil, for shallow frying the fritters
- Fresh lime wedges or sour cream to serve on the side
- Preheat oven to 350°. Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet. (If you don’t have a wire rack, you can place the prepared fritters on the baking sheet.)
- Shred zucchini directly onto a kitchen towel using a box grater. Gather the zucchini-filled towel and squeeze it until all water is rung out of the zucchini.
- Shred sweet potato and add it to a bowl with the zucchini.
- Add beaten eggs, 1 tbsp. olive oil, scallions, garlic, cilantro, lime zest, jalapeño, cumin, and kosher salt. Mix it all together well, using a large fork or your hands. This is an important step to make sure all spices and flavorings are distributed evenly. Add arrowroot flour and mix well. Your mixture might be a little watery, but don’t worry — the fritters will firm up as they cook.
- Heat 3 tbsp. of olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium low heat until shimmering. Drop ⅓-cup portions of batter into skillet and use the back of the spatula to press batter into 3-inch-wide fritters. You will cook four fritters at a time.
- Cook until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
- Drain fritters briefly on paper towel, then place them on the wire rack or directly on the baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining olive oil and four more fritters.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes to ensure fritters are fully cooked.
Serve with lime wedges or sour cream. Makes 12 3-inch fritters.