Food Moxie’s mission is to educate and inspire people to grow, cook, and eat healthy foods. Our goal each year is to provide at least 400 program participants with six cooking, tasting, and/or gardening experiences.
This has been a year like no other in our efforts to reach this goal. We have pivoted our programs to run with pandemic safety measures in place for both our staff and our participants. Our programs are focusing on the immediate food insecurity needs of our students and emergency housing residents, while continuing our educational focus on tasting, cooking, and growing unfamiliar and seasonal nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables.
Since March, Food Moxie has met our mission with the following outcomes:
- Home deliveries of fresh produce and activity kits to students since the pandemic started in March: 1,610
- Root pouches shared with students and the community in support of ongoing growing activities: over 1,000
- Seedlings and seed packets distributed to students: 2,000
- New videos produced and shared for education at our new You Tube channel: over 35
- Pounds of local fruits and vegetables purchased to support local farmers and to share with community members in need: 150,000
- Pounds of nutrient-dense produce grown at Food Moxie sites and shared with the community: 5,000
- Number of pounds of clean compost purchased and shared with community gardeners, students, and other community members to support local urban agriculture projects: 350,000
- Number of seedlings distributed to community members to grow their own produce: over 5,000
We could not do this work without the support of the Co-op. This year, over 100 working members have helped us deliver produce and activity kits to our students, prepared our root pouches for students and community members, and supported us in myriad other ways.
Please consider a gift to support our work in the new year by becoming a sustainer, joining our High Five campaign, donating at the Co-op register on Giving Tuesday or going to our website and clicking the DONATE button at www.foodmoxie.org/waystogive. Your support will help us continue to have positive impacts in 2021.