What Do I Do with This? This Month: Beets
- Shave thinly on a mandoline and add to a salad.
- Wrap in foil with a little water (or orange juice or apple cider), salt and pepper, and steam-roast them in the oven at 375-400 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender. You can also wrap them in foil and cook them on the grill on high heat for 30 minutes or until tender. Cut into smaller pieces to reduce cooking time.
- Puree with a bit of the cooking liquid and stir into risotto or other starchy grain before serving.
Dress cooked beets with:
- Balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, grated fresh ginger
- Shallots, fennel, local tart apples, red onion (after they’re roasted)
- Pistachios, pepitas, sunflower seeds
- Soft goat chevre, vegan cheese, or shaved hard cheeses like parmesan, manchego, or pecorino roma